Saturday, August 29, 2009

In Which Napoleon Becomes Hortense

Crap salad, I've been lazy.

In my defense, 
1. I've just started grad school, which involved running all over campus, trolling for part-time jobs.
2. My house has been on the market for six months, and I've been pricing kitchen overhauls to see if the investment is worthwhile.
3. I dunno. Other stuff.

No major life changes while trying to get pregnant? That's for the weak.

So the big news is that I had the 18-week ultrasound and learned that Napoleon is more of a Napoleonette. Which is a big surprise, given that I was nearly convinced it was a boy. On the other hand, my mother was convinced it was a boy, and she's always, always wrong at gender-guessing. So that should have been a clue. 

I guess the obvious thing  would be to rename Napoleon Josephine, but that's a name that I could conceivably give to a child someday (husband's grandmother's name), and so it's not nearly as amusing as Hortense. 

Other exciting ultrasound news - I seem to have developed a succenturiate placental lobe, which they claim poses no threat to Hortense (although she seems to be rather snug between those two big lumps of placenta, and I wish she had a bit more room to flail around in) but which will have to be extracted from me after delivery, so as to keep me from hemorrhaging. My mother describes the manual extraction of leftover placenta as "worse than 36 hours of labor" and "oh, God, I wanted to die." So, that's exciting. But - if this is the only complication I encounter between now and January 27th, I'll probably be a pretty lucky girl.   

Off to breakfast - my insane husband is drafting a document in which I release him from responsibility for any future gestational diabetes diagnosis, and aver that I am eating the Krispy Kreme he brought me of my own volition. 

1 comment:

  1. Contracts for Krispy Kremes? Really?

    Hortense will be loads of fun - just be aware that she will surprise you by spraying you with pee in ways you only thought a Napoleon would be capable of. Congrats on a girl!

    ReplyDelete